- 4 tender cabbage leaves
- 150g pearl barley
- 2 pinches of grated caciocavallo silano P.D.O.
- 100g in-season mixed vegetable cubes
- 40g cubed caciocavallo silano P.D.O.
- 4 thin slices of caciocavallo silano P.D.O.
- 10 winter cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme (to taste)
Boil the cabbage leaves for a few seconds in salted water. Drain, and put them on a cloth and dab them. On the side, cook the pearl barley as you would a risotto, with any available vegetables. Mix with the grated caciocavallo. Cool the pearl barley by spreading it in a large wide container, salt and pepper to taste and add the cubes of caciocavallo evenly. Form small spheres and wrap them with a cabbage leaf. Lastly, lay a thin slice of caciocavallo on the prepared chests and bake at 150° for 10 minutes. Place the small prepared chests on the serving plate, garnished with a tomato cream.
The caciocavallo silano P.D.O. plays a decisive role in this recipe: at first, for its pleasant crunchy and scorched taste on the outside, immediately followed by a soft and delicate mixture on the inside. It is ideal as a starter but can also be a first course with great character.